精华
帖子
发表于 2018-8-16 08:08:30 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 当年扛过81杠 于 2018-8-16 08:19 编辑

War and Remembrance
  战争与回忆

by Herman Wouk
  赫尔曼·沃克 著

He will destroy death forever. (Isaiah 25)
  他已经吞灭死亡直到永远。
  ——《以赛亚书》第二十五章

Isaiah n. 《以赛亚书》(记载公元前8世纪希伯来预言家以赛亚的言论的圣经书目)

Write this for a remembrance in a book ... That the lord has a war with Amalek from generation to generation. (Exodus 17)
  你要将这话写在书上作纪念……主必世世代代和亚玛力人争战。
  ——《出埃及记》第十七章

Exodus n. 《圣经·旧约》之《出埃及记》

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-8-16 08:09:42 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 当年扛过81杠 于 2018-8-16 08:22 编辑

Foreword
  前言

WAR AND REMEMBRANCE is a historical romance. The subject is World War II, the viewpoint American.
  《战争与回忆》是一部历史传奇。主题写第二次世界大战,观点是美国的。

A prologue, THE WINDS OF WAR, published in 1971, set the historical frame for this work by picturing the events leading up to Pearl Harbor.
  《战争风云》是序幕,出版于一九七一年,通过描绘一系列导致珍珠港事变的事件,为本书定下了历史的骨架。

prologue n. 序言,序幕

This is a novel of America at war, from Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima.
  《战争与回忆》是一部关于美国作战的小说——从珍珠港到广岛。

It is the main tale I had to tell. While I naturally hope that some readers, even in this rushed age, will find the time for both novels, WAR AND REMEMBRANCE is a story in itself, and can be read without the prologue.
  这是我要叙述的主要故事。我当然希望即使在这繁忙的年代里,有些读者能挤出时间看这两部小说,但《战争与回忆》本身自成一个故事,不看序幕也看得下去。

The theme of both novels is single. The last words of Victor Henry's commentary on the Battle of Leyte Gulf give it plainly enough: "Either war is finished, or we are."
  这两部小说的主题是一个。它清楚地表现在维克多·亨利评论莱特湾战役时所说的最后一句话中:“要么结束战争,要么我们完蛋。”

Leyte n. 莱特岛(位于菲律宾中东部,在吕宋岛与棉兰老岛之间)

I have put this theme in the colors and motion of the fiction art, so that "he who runs may read," and remember what happened in the worst world catastrophe. As to the history in both tales, I trust that knowing readers will find it has been presented responsibly and with care.
  我运用小说艺术的色彩和动作来表现这一主题,使“能走路的人个个读得懂”,并记住在这场最糟的世界性灾难中发生了些什么事情。至于这两部小说中的史实,我相信有见识的读者将发现它们都是写得慎重负责的。

These two linked novels tend to one conclusion: that war is an old habit of thought, an old frame of mind, an old political technique, that must now pass as human sacrifice and human slavery have passed. I have faith that the human spirit will prove equal to the long heavy task of ending war. Against the pessimistic mood of our time, I think that the human spirit -- for all its dark side that I here portrayed in essence heroic. The adventures narrated in this romance aim to show that essence in action.
  这两部连续的小说只能得出一个结论:战争是一种古老的思想习惯,一种古老的心理状态,一种古老的政治手段,就像人的牺牲和人的奴役已经成为历史陈迹那样,战争今后也一定会成为历史陈迹。我深信人类的精神会证明:它是能胜任结束战争这一漫长而艰巨的任务的。尽管我们这时代充满了悲观情绪,尽管我在本书中写的有阴暗的一面,我想,人类的精神在本质上是英勇无畏的。这部小说中所叙述的种种英雄事迹,目的就在于表现这种英勇无畏的本质在行动。

The beginning of the end of WAR lies in REMEMBRANCE.
  结束战争的开端就寓于回忆之中。

Washington Purim, 5738
  犹太历五七三八年普珥节于华盛顿

Purim n. 普珥节(纪念犹太人免遭哈曼杀害的犹太教节日,即阿达尔月十四日)
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-8-16 08:23:45 |显示全部楼层
  英文竟然没法自动断字,也是醉了!大家凑合着看吧。
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-8-17 16:45:09 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 当年扛过81杠 于 2018-8-17 16:51 编辑

Part One
  "Where is Natalie?"
  第一部

“娜塔丽在哪里?”

Chapter One
  第一章

A liberty boat full of sleepy hung-over sailors came clanging alongside the U.S.S. Northampton, and a stocky captain in dress whites jumped out to the accommodation ladder. The heavy cruiser, its gray hull and long guns dusted pink by the rising sun, swung to a buoy in Pearl Harbor on the incoming tide. As the boat thrummed off toward the destroyer nests in West Loch, the captain trotted up the steep ladder and saluted the colors and the quarterdeck.
  一艘自由轮满载着睡意蒙胧、宿醉初醒的水兵,横靠上美国军舰“诺思安普敦”号舰舷时发出当当的声响,有一位矮胖的上校穿着一身雪白制服,一个箭步跳出来,跨上舷梯。那艘重型巡洋舰系在一个浮筒上,在珍珠港内,随着港外涌进的涨潮漂动着,灰色的舰身和大炮被初升的太阳蒙上一层粉红色。当自由轮噗噗噗地向停泊在西海湾中那些驱逐舰驶去时,上校从陡直的舷梯爬到舰上,对军旗和上层后甲板敬礼。

hung-over a. 余醉未醒而难受的
  stocky a. 矮壮的,结实的
  accommodation ladder n. 船的舷梯
  hull n. 船体,外壳
  buoy n. 浮标,浮筒,救生圈
  thrum v. 发出单调的声音,以低沉、单调的声音重复地说
  loch n. 湖泊,狭长的海湾
  trot v. 小步快跑,疾走
  quarterdeck n. 后甲板

"I request permission to come aboard."
  “我请求准许登舰。”

"Permission granted, sir."
  “同意,长官。”

"My name is Victor Henry."

“我叫维克多·亨利。”

The O.O.D's eyes rounded. In his starched whites with lacquered gold buttons and his white gloves, with the ritual long glass tucked under an arm, this fresh-faced ensign was stiff enough, but he stiffened more. "Oh! Yes, sir. I'll notify Captain Hickman, sir -- Messenger!"
  值班军官的眼睛睁圆了。穿着浆得笔挺的钉着镀金钮扣的白军服,戴着白手套,腋下夹着长望远镜,这位满脸朝气的海军少尉已经够直挺挺的了,可他如今把身子挺得更直了。“哦,是,长官。我这就去通知希克曼上校,长官——传令兵!”

O.O.D. n. 值更军官(Officer On Duty)
  starch v. 用淀粉浆洗(衣物),使僵硬
  lacquer v. 用漆涂抹,使表面光亮
  tuck v. 掖,塞,折叠
  ensign n. 美国海军少尉,军旗,军徽,舰旗

"Don't disturb him yet. He isn't expecting me. I'll just mosey around topside for a bit."
  “先不用打搅他。他不知道我来,我先到甲板上走走。”

mosey v. 漫步,闲逛,走动

"Sir, I know he's awake."
  “长官,我知道他醒着呢。”

"Very well."
  “那好吧。”

Henry walked forward on a forecastle already astir with working parties in dungarees, who were dodging the hosedown by barefoot deckhands. The iron deck underfoot felt good. The pungent harbor breeze smelled good. This was Pug Henry's world, the clean square world of big warships, powerful machinery, brisk young sailors, heavy guns, and the sea. After long exile, he was home. But his pleasure dimmed at the tragic sight off the starboard bow. Bulging out of the black off coating the harbor waters, the streaked red underside of the capsized Utah proclaimed the shame of the whole Pacific Fleet in one obscene symbol. Out of view in the shambles of Battleship Row, the ship he had come to Hawaii to command, the U.S.S. California, sat on the mud under water to its guns, still wisping smoke ten days after the catastrophe.
  亨利顺着前甲板向前走去,那里已经有穿粗蓝布工作服的作业队在走动了,他们正忙着躲闪光脚的甲板水兵冲洗甲板时水龙带里喷出来的水。脚底下铁甲板踩上去很舒服。海港里的和风带有刺鼻的气味,闻起来也很舒服。这正是帕格·亨利熟悉的世界,由庞大的战舰、强有力的机械设备、活跃的青年水兵、重炮和大海所组成的井井有条的世界。长期在外游历之后,他终于回家来了。但他一看到舰首右舷外面的悲惨景象,兴致就淡下去了。海港水面上浮着一层黑黑的油,凸出在水面上的是翻了身的“犹他”号战列舰的有条纹的红色船底,就凭这令人厌恶的象征,表明了整个太平洋舰队的奇耻大辱。在这片被炸成一片废墟的战列舰停泊区中,美国战列舰“加利福尼亚”号搁浅在帕格望不见的海底淤泥里,这原是他到夏威夷来要统率的战舰,如今水已淹到大炮那里,在遭到这场灾难的十天之后还在冒烟。

forecastle n. 前甲板,舰楼
  dungaree n. 粗棉布,工作服,粗棉布裤子
  dodge v. 躲闪,避开
  deckhand n. 甲板水兵,下级水手
  pungent a. 刺鼻的,辛辣的
  starboard n. 右舷
  bow n. 船头,舰艏
  obscene a. 污秽的,令人讨厌的
  wisp v. 一缕缕地飘动
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

5#

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-8-25 09:15:29 |显示全部楼层
  这论坛里发不成整段的英文?只能坑在这儿了……
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-8-28 08:18:47 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 当年扛过81杠 于 2018-8-28 08:21 编辑

The Northampton was no California; a treaty cruiser almost -- as long, six hundred feet, but with half the beam, a quarter, the tonnage, smaller main battery, and light hull far too vulnerable to torpedoes.
  “诺思安普敦”号当然不能和“加利福尼亚”号相比。它是一艘按条约规定造成的巡洋舰,长度跟“加利福尼亚”号差不多,达六百英尺,但宽度只有它的一半,吨位只及它的四分之一,主炮较小,舰身较薄,对鱼雷的抵抗力要差得多。

Yet after his protracted shore duty it looked decidedly big to Captain Henry. Standing by the flapping blue jack and the anchor chain, glancing back at the turrets and the tripod mast, with bridge upon bridge jutting up into the sunlight, he had a qualm of self-doubt.

可是,亨利海军上校在岸上长期工作之后,这艘战舰在他看来却显得很大。他站在飘扬着的蓝色舰首旗和锚链近旁,回头望着炮塔、三脚桅杆和一重重凸出在阳光中的桥楼,简直有点信不过他自己。

protract v. 延长,拖延
  jack n. 舰船上悬挂的旗帜
  jut v. 突出,伸出,突击
  qualm n. 疑虑

This ship was many times as massive as a destroyer, his last command.
  这条战舰比起他最后当过舰长的那艘驱逐舰来,不知要大多少倍。

Battleship command had been a dream; getting the California had never seemed quite real, and after all, it had been snatched from him by disaster. He had served in heavy cruisers, but command was something else.

当战列舰的舰长一直是他的梦想;但接到“加利福尼亚”号的委任总不像是十分真实的,而到头来,还是被一场灾难从他手中攫走了。他曾经在重型巡洋舰上服役过,但是当舰长毕竟是另一回事。

The roly-poly gangway messenger, who looked about thirteen, trotted up and saluted. Altogether the crew appeared peculiarly young.

矮胖的舷梯传令兵看上去不过十三岁左右,他快步前来敬了个礼。总的说来,这伙水兵都显得特别年轻。

roly-poly a. 像卷布丁似的,矮胖的
  gangway n. 舷梯,过道,舷侧门,跳板

Pug had at first glance taken for junior lieutenants a couple of young men sporting the gilt collar leaves of lieutenant commanders.

有两个年轻人神气活现地戴着海军少校的镀金领章,帕格乍看之下,还当他们是中尉呢。

sport v. 炫耀,惹人注目地穿戴
  gilt a. 镀金的

Surely they had not served the grinding fifteen years that two and a half stripes had cost him! Fast advancement was a sugar-coating of wartime.
  他们肯定没像他那样苦干了十五年才戴上这两道半金杠!战争时期给人的好处就是提升快。
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-8-28 08:22:58 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 当年扛过81杠 于 2018-8-29 08:16 编辑

"Captain Henry, sir, Captain Hickman presents his compliments, sir. He's taking a shower, is all. He says there's mail for you in his quarters, forwarded from the California's shore office. He invites you for breakfast, sir, and please to follow."
  “亨利上校,长官,希克曼上校向您致意,长官。他正在洗淋浴,马上就完。他说他舱里有您的信件,是从‘加利福尼亚’号陆上办事处转来的。他邀请您去吃早餐,长官,请随我来。”

compliment n. 致意,称赞,恭维,问候,道贺
  quarter n. 住处,岗位

"What's your name and rating?"
  “你叫什么名字,什么级别?”

"Tilton, sir! Boatswain's mate third, sir!" Crisp eager responses to the incoming captain.
  “长官,我叫蒂尔顿。我是帆缆下士,长官!”他干净利落、热心地回答了即将上任的舰长。

boatswain n. 水手长,帆缆军士长
  crisp a. 干脆的,清爽的,活泼的

"How old are you, Tilton?"
  “蒂尔顿,你今年多大了?”

"Twenty, sir."

“二十岁,长官。”

Ravages of age; everybody else starting to seem too damned young.
  岁月催人老;而其他人呢,每一个看上去都年轻得要命。

ravage n. 破坏,蹂躏,劫掠,创伤
  start v. 呈现,突然出现

The captain's quarters enjoyed the monarchical touch of a Filipino steward: snowy white coat, round olive face, dark eyes, thick black hair. "I'm Alemon, sir." The smiling astute glance and dignified head bob, as he handed Captain Henry the letters, showed pride of place more than subservience.
  舰长的舱房有一点皇家气派,有一个菲律宾侍者:雪白的上衣、褐色的圆面孔、黑眼睛、一头浓密的黑发。“我叫阿里蒙,长官。”他把信件递给亨利上校的时候,那笑眯眯的、机灵的目光,端庄地把头一点的姿势,显示出对自己身份的自豪超过对上司的奉承。

touch n. 痕迹,修饰,点缀
  astute a. 机敏的,狡猾的
  bob n. 振动,上下或来回的动
  subservience n. 屈从,奉承,裨益,有用

"Captain Hickman will be right out. Coffee, sir? Orange juice?"
  “希克曼上校马上就出来。长官,要咖啡?还是桔子汁?”

The spacious outer cabin, the steward, the handsome blue leather furnishings, the kingly desk, elated Pug Henry.
  宽敞的外舱、侍者、漂亮的蓝皮家具和像是皇室用的书桌,都使帕格·亨利洋洋自得。

elate v. 使兴高采烈,使得意

回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-8-29 08:19:09 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 当年扛过81杠 于 2018-8-29 08:29 编辑

Capital ship command would soon be his, and these perquisites tickled his vanity. He couldn't help it. A long, long climb! Many new burdens and no more money, he told himself, glancing at the batch of official envelopes. Among them was a letter from Rhoda. The sight of his wife's handwriting, once such a joy, punctured his moment of pride, as the overturned Utah mid gloomed his pleasure at walking a deck again.
  这个顶呱呱的舰长职位很快就要属于他,这些特权享有的东西满足了他的虚荣心。他按捺不住这种心情。向上爬了多长的路啊!有许多新的负担,却无额外的钱,他心里暗想,一边翻着那一扎函件。其中有一封是罗达写来的。一看到妻子的笔迹(这曾经是多大的喜悦啊),他那得意的劲儿就泄掉了,恰如“犹他”号船底朝天的情景给他重新漫步甲板之乐蒙上了一层阴影一样。

perquisite n. 额外补贴,临时津贴,特权
  tickle v. 搔痒,使发痒,逗乐
  vanity n. 虚荣心,自负,自大,空虚无用的东西
  batch n. 一批,一组,大量
  puncture v. 刺破,戳穿

In a wave of desolate sickness, he ripped open the pink envelope and read the letter, sipping coffee served on a silver tray with a Navy-monogrammed silver creamer.
  在一阵孤寂难过的波动当中,他撕开了那粉红色信封,一边看信,一边喝着咖啡,那是和一只镶有海军标记的银奶壶放在银茶盘上一起端上来的。

desolate a. 寂廖的,荒凉的,孤独的
  rip v. 撕开,撕裂,剥,劈,锯
  monogram n. 用交织字母作辨识标记,用花押字来标明

December 7th
  十二月七日

Pug darting,
  亲爱的帕格:

I just this minute sent off my cable to you, taking back that idiotic letter. The radio's still jabbering the horrible news about Pearl Harbor. Never in my life have I been more at sixes and sevens. Those horrible little yellow monkeys! I know we'll blow them off the face of the earth, but meanwhile I have one son in a submarine, and another in a dive-bomber, and you're God knows where at this moment. I just pray the California wasn't hit. And to cap it all I wrote you that perfectly ghastly, unforgivable letter six short days ago! I would give the world to get that letter back unread -- Why did I ever write it? My head was off in some silly cloudland.
  我此刻刚发了份电报给你,要收回那封荒谬愚蠢的信。收音机里仍在叽里呱啦地播着关于珍珠港的可怕消息。我今生今世心里还没这么七上八下过。这些黄皮肤的小猴子多么可怕啊!我知道我们会把他们消灭干净的,但我这时有一个儿子在潜艇上,另一个在俯冲轰炸机上,而你,天知道此时此刻正在什么地方。我祈求上苍,但愿“加利福尼亚”号没有被击中。而最要不得的是,我竟在短短六天之前写给你那封糟糕透顶、不可原谅的信!如果我能在你看信之前就把它收回,那叫我付出任何代价都愿意。我究竟干嘛要写那封信呢?我当初真是莫名其妙地昏了头。

jabber v. 叽叽喳喳地叫,快速而含混不清地说,闲聊
  at sixes and sevens a. 乱七八糟的,杂乱无章的
  cloudland n. 云层,仙境,幻境

I am not demanding a divorce anymore, not if you really still want me after my scatterbrained conduct.
  我再也不要求离婚了,如果你不怪我行为不检点,而且仍真心要我的话。

scatterbrained a. 注意力不集中的,轻浮的,草率的,浮躁的

Whatever you do, don't blame or hate Palmer Kirby.
  随你怎么办都可以,但不要责怪或怨恨巴穆·柯比。

He's a very decent sort, as I think you know.
  他是个非常正派的人,我想你也知道。

Pug, I've been so damned lonesome, and -- I don't know, maybe I'm going through the change or something -- but I've been having the wildest shifts of moods for months, up and down and up and down again.
  帕格,我这阵真寂寞得要命,并且——我说不准,也许我正进入更年期什么的——但我几个月来情绪变化得十分厉害,老是忽高忽低的。

I've been very unstable. I really think I'm not quite well.
  我的心情非常不宁。我真的认为身体不太好。

Now I feel like a criminal awaiting sentence, and I don't expect to get much sleep until your next letter arrives.
  现在我感到就像是一个罪犯在等待判决一样,想来我要等收到你下一封信后才能睡得安稳。

One thing is true, I love you and I've never stopped loving you.
  有一件事是真的,那就是我爱你,而且始终爱着你。

That's something to go on, isn't it? I'm utterly confused. I just can't write any more until I hear from you.
  有了这感情就可以继续下去,不是吗?我的心乱极了。我要等你有了回音,才能再写下去。

Except -- Natalie's mother telephoned me not half an hour ago, all frantic. Strange that we've never met or spoken before! She hasn't heard from her daughter -- in weeks. The last word was that Natalie and the baby were flying back from Rome on the 15th. Now what? The schedules must be all disrupted, and suppose we go to war with Germany and Italy? Byron must be wild with worry. I have never held it against him, I mean, marrying a Jewish girl, but the dangers, the complications, are all so magnified! Let's pray she gets out, one way or another.
  不过有一点得说说——娜塔丽的母亲不到半小时前打过电话给我。她都快急疯了。奇怪的是,我们竟从来没见过面,也没讲过话!她有好几个星期不曾得到她女儿的消息了。最后的消息是娜塔丽和婴孩在十五日从罗马飞回。后来怎样了呢?时刻表肯定都给打乱了,而如果我们要和德国、意大利交战,那怎么办呢?拜伦一定急得要发疯了。我从来没为这件事反对过他,我指的是他娶了一个犹太姑娘,但是这却凭添了不少危险,使情况复杂多了!让我们祷告上帝保佑她无论如何能脱身出来。

frantic a. 疯狂的,狂乱的

Mrs. Jastrow sounds perfectly pleasant, no foreign-accent or anything, except that she's so obviously a New Yorker! If you get news of Natalie, do sent the poor woman a telegram, it'll be a kindness.
  杰斯特罗太太的声音听上去挺悦耳,没任何外国口音,地地道道是个纽约人!要是你得到娜塔丽的消息,务必打个电报给那可怜的女人,这可是桩好事啊。

Oh, Pug, we've plunged into the war, after all! Our whole world is coming apart. You're a rock. I'm not. Try to forgive me, and maybe we can still pick up the pieces.
  唉,帕格,我们终于卷入战争啦!我们的整个世界崩溃了。你坚强得像座岩石,我可不行。原谅我吧,可能我们还会破镜重圆。

All my love, Rhoda
  一心爱你的罗

Not a reassuring letter, he thought, if wholly Rhoda-like.
  这封信看了并不使人安心,他想,不过倒十足是罗达的风格。

The passage about his daughter-in-law deepened Pug's sickness of heart. He had been burying awareness of her plight from his mind, laden with his own calamities and, as he thought, helpless to do anythiny about her. He was in a world crash, and in a private crash.
  关于他儿媳妇的那一节加重了帕格的心病。他明知道她陷入了困境,但又把它置之脑后,因为他自己心事重重,何况对她也爱莫能助。他处身的世界崩溃了,他的私生活也崩溃了。

passage n. 段落,章节
  calamity n. 灾难,不幸

He could only take things day by day as they came.
  他只能过一日算一日,逆来顺受。
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-9-5 07:48:55 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 当年扛过81杠 于 2018-9-5 07:51 编辑

"Well! Is Alemon treating you right? Welcome aboard!" A tall officer with thick straight blond hair, a froglike pouch under his chin, and a belly strained into two bulges by his belt burst from the inner cabin, buttoning a beautifully ironed khaki shirt. They shook hands. "Ready for some chow?"
  “喂,阿里蒙对你招待得好吗?欢迎你登舰!”一位高个子军官,长着一头浓密的金色的直头发,下巴下面有像青蛙那样鼓起的袋袋,肚子被皮带勒成两堆突出的肉,由内舱匆匆出来,一边扣着烫得笔挺的卡其布衬衫。他们握了手。“吃点东西吗?”

pouch n. 小袋子,袋状物

Alemon's breakfast, served on white linen with gleaming cutlery, was better than anything Victor Henry had eaten in months: half afresh pineapple, hot rolls, steaming coffee, and a rich egg dish with ham, spinach, and melted cheese. Pug said, by way of breaking the ice, that he had short-circuited protocol and come aboard this way because he had heard the Northampton might leaving soon with a carrier task force to relieve Wake Island. If Hickman wanted the change of command before the ship left, he was at his service.
  阿里蒙把早点和闪闪发亮的刀叉一起放在雪白的亚麻桌布上,这比维克多?亨利几个月来吃过的东西要强得多:半只鲜菠萝,热面包,热气腾腾的咖啡和一盘有火腿、菠菜、融化的干酪的丰盛的炒蛋。帕格为了打破沉默,先开口说他有意简化了一般的礼仪,就这样跑上船来,因为听说“诺思安普敦”号也许马上要跟一支航空母舰特混舰队出发,去增援威克岛。如果希克曼想在开船前交卸舰长的职务,他愿意从命。

cutlery n. 餐具,刀叉,刀具
  spinach n. 菠菜

"Christ, yes. I'm mighty glad you've showed up. I hate to go ashore with a war starting, but I've been putting off minor surgery and I'm overdue for relief." Hickman's big genial face settled into lines of misery. "And to be frank, Henry, I have wife trouble back home. It just happened in October. Some deskbound Army son of a bitch in Washington." the thick shoulders sagged in misery. "Oh, hell. After twenty-nine years, and her a grandmother three times over! But Ruth is still gorgeous, you know? I swear, Ruth has got the figure of a chorus girl. And left to herself half the time well, that's been the problem right along. You know how that is."
  “好极啦!我非常高兴你来报到。就快打仗了。我不愿这时候离舰,但是我得动个小手术,已经推迟很久了,并且早就超过换班的时间了。”希克曼那张和蔼可亲的大脸显出了忧伤的纹路。“实在不瞒你,亨利,我和老婆有纠纷哩。事情出在十月里。华盛顿某个在军部里坐办公室的忘八蛋——”他那厚实的双肩丧气地耷拉了下来。“真他妈的。结婚二十九年了,她呢,已做了三个孙子的奶奶了,还干出这等事来!可是露丝还是挺漂亮,你明白吗?我发誓,露丝的身材还活像个歌舞女郎。倒有一半的时间撇下她一个人过——哦,那就成问题啦!这种事你是知道的。”

overdue a. 迟到的,过期的,延误的
  genial a. 亲切的,友好的,和蔼的
  deskbound a. 埋头于事务性工作的,担负内勤工作的
  sag v. 松弛,下垂,下陷,跌落
  gorgeous a. 华丽的,惊艳的,漂亮的
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-9-5 08:01:44 |显示全部楼层
  So often, Pug thought, he had heard such plaints before; the commonest of Navy misfortunes, yet not till it had struck him had he remotely imagined the searing pain of it. How could Hickman, or any man, discuss it so freely? He himself could not force words about it from his throat! Not to a minister, not to a psychiatrist, not to God in prayer, let alone to a stranger. He was grateful when Hickman turned prominent eyes at him, ruefully grinned, and said, "Well, the hell with that. I understand you've had duty in Berlin and in Moscow, eh? Damned unusual."
  帕格心想,以前他经常听到这种诉苦;这是海军里最最司空见惯的不幸,然而在这种不幸落到他自己头上之前,他一点也无法想象它能给人带来多大的痛苦。希克曼或其他人怎么能这样随便讲出来?关于这种事情,他自己就无法从嗓子眼里挤出一个字来,对牧师不能说,对精神病医生不能说,对上帝作祷告时也不能说,更不要说对一个陌生人讲起了。他很感激希克曼这时转过他那双金鱼眼来瞧着他,忧伤地咧着嘴说:“得了,让它见鬼去吧!我听说你在柏林和莫斯科都担任过职务,是吗?真是少有的怪事。”

prominent a. 卓越的,突出的,显著的
  ruefully ad. 忧伤地,可怜地

"I went to Moscow with the first Lend-Lease mission. That was a short special assignment. I did serve in Berlin as naval attache."
  “我跟着第一个《租借法案》使团去过莫斯科,那是个短期的特殊使命。在柏林我担任过海军武官。”

"Must have been fascinating, what with all hell breaking loose over there."
  “想必很有劲,那儿闹得天翻地覆啦!”

"I'll take the Northampton."
  “可我来接管‘诺思安普敦’号啦。”

At Victor Henry's harsh tone of disenchantment with his years ashore, Hickman cannily winked. "Well, if I do say so, Henry, she's a good ship with a smart crew. Except this big fleet expansion's bleeding us white. We're running a goddamn training ship here these days." Hickman pulled the ringing telephone from its bracket on the bulk-head. "Christ, Halsey's barge is coming alongside." Gulping coffee, he rose, put on his gold-rested cap, and snatched a black tie.
  希克曼听了维克多·亨利用尖刻的语调表示不迷恋几年来的岸上生活,机警地眨眨眼睛。“好,我倒是要说,亨利,这是条很好的军舰,舰上人员也都挺能干,只是舰队这样大扩充,都快把我们累死了。我们这些天来一直在干该死的教练舰干的事。”希克曼从舱壁的电话架上拿起正在响铃的电话。“暧,海尔赛的专用汽艇靠上来了。”他把咖啡一饮而尽,站起身来戴上他的包金边的帽子,急急地抓起一条黑领带。

disenchantment n. 觉醒,清醒,摆脱幻想
  cannily ad. 机警地,精明地,用心地
  bulk-head n. 船舱隔壁,防水壁
  gulp v. 一口吞下,吞咽
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-9-7 07:59:55 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 当年扛过81杠 于 2018-9-7 08:04 编辑

Pug was astonished. The Northampton was the flagship of Rear Admiral Spruance, who commanded Halsey's screening vessels. It was Spruance's place to call on Halsey, not the other way around.
  帕格大吃一惊。“诺思安普敦”号是海军少将斯普鲁恩斯的旗舰,他是统帅海尔赛的屏护舰队的。应该是斯普鲁恩斯去拜访海尔赛,而不应该倒过来。

Straightening the tie and cap, Hickman said, "Make yourself at home. Finish your breakfast. We can get started on the relief this morning. My chief yeoman's got the logs and other records all lined up, and luckily we just did a Title B inventory. The registered pubs are up-to-date and the transfer report is ready. You can sight the books anytime."
  希克曼整着领带和帽子,说道:“别客气,吃完你的早点吧。今天上午我们就能开始办交接工作了。我的文书军士长已把航海日记与其他记录都整理好了,我们刚巧列出了一个项目清单。最近到的文件都登记好了,移交报告也准备好了。这些登记簿你随时可以过目。”

yeoman n. 自耕农,仆人,侍从,文书军士
  inventory n. 清单,详细目录

"Does Halsey come aboard often?"
  “海尔赛常上船来吗?”

"First time ever." His eyes popping, Hickman handed Pug a clipboard of messages. "Something's afoot, all right. You might want to look over these dispatches. There's a long intercept from Wake."
  “有史以来第一次。”希克曼眼睛瞪得大大的,递给帕格一个文件夹。“看来要有重大行动。你或许还要看一下这些文件。从威克岛侦听来不少消息。”

dispatch n. 急件,快递,重要消息

Through the porthole Pug could hear Halsey piped aboard.
  透过舷窗,帕格能够听到海尔赛登舰的哨子声。

As he glanced through the flimsy sheets, his pain over Rhoda, faded. The mere look and feel of fleet communications, the charge of war electricity in the carbon-bluffed dispatches, stirred life in him.
  他把这些薄薄的文件粗粗看了一下,因为罗达而感到的痛苦渐渐消失了。只消看一眼、摸一下舰队的通信,这些复印得很模糊的文件所含有的战争电波马上激起了他生命的活力。

flimsy a. 脆弱的,薄薄的,易碎的
  bluff v. 潦草地书写,直爽地说
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-9-7 08:03:59 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 当年扛过81杠 于 2018-9-7 08:05 编辑

Hickman soon came back. "It was the Old Man, all right. He looks madder than hell about something. Let's go to the ship's office."
  希克曼很快又回来了,说道:“就是那个老头儿。他像是为什么事疯狂得要命呢。我们去办公舱吧!”

Impeccable inventories, account books, and engineering records were spread for Victor Henry's inspection by young yeomen in spotless whites, under the glaring eye of a grizzled chief. The two captains were deep in the records when the flag lieutenant telephoned.
  穿着一尘不染的白制服的年轻文书军士们,把无懈可击的清单、账簿和轮机操作记录都摊在维克多?亨利面前,让这位头发灰白的长官睁大了眼检查。将军的副官来电话时,两位舰长正专心审阅那些记录。

impeccable a. 没有缺点的,无懈可击的
  grizzle v. 使变成灰色

The presence of Captain Victor Henry, he said, was desired in Admiral Spruance's quarters. Hickman looked nonplussed, relaying this to his visitor.
  他说,斯普鲁恩斯的舰队司令部要求维克多·亨利上校到场。希克曼看上去有点困惑,仅仅把这句话转告他的来访者。

nonplus v. 被迷惑,使困惑,显得狼狈,陷入为难境地

"Shall I take you there, Henry?"
  “要我带你去那儿吗,亨利?”

"I know the way."
  “我认得路。”

"Any idea what it's about?"
  “想得出是怎么回事吗?”

"Not the foggiest."
  “没一点影子。”

Hickman scratched his head. "Do you know Spruance?"
  希克曼搔搔头皮。“你认识斯普鲁恩斯吗?”

"Slightly, from the War College."
  “有一点儿认得,是在作战学院里认识的。”

"Think you can relieve me before we sortie? We're on seventy-two hours' notice."
  “你看能在我们出击前替换我吗?我们接到通知,七十二小时内出发。”

sortie v. 出击,战斗出动,突围

"I intend to."
  “我打算如此。”

"Splendid." Hickman clasped his hand. "We've got to talk some about the ship's stability. There are problems."
  “好极了。”希克曼紧握他的手说,“我们得谈谈关于这艘船的稳定性的事情,有不少问题呢。”

clasp v. 扣紧,握住,搂抱
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-9-17 08:08:53 |显示全部楼层
  "Hello, Pug," Halsey said. It was the old tough way look from under thick eye-brows; but the brows were gray, the eyes sunken. This was not Billy Halsey, the feisty skipper of the destroyer Chauncey. This was Vice Admiral William F. Halsey, ComAirBatForPac, with three silver stars on his collar pin. Halsey's stomach sagged, his once-thick brown hair was a gray straggle, his face was flecked and creased with age. But the square-set jaw, the thin wide crafty smile, the curving way he stuck out his hand, the hard grip, were the same. "How's that pretty wife of yours?"
  “喂,帕格,”海尔赛说。粗眉毛下是那熟悉的坚韧不拔、狡猾的目光,但是眉毛灰白了,双目下陷了。他已经不是比利·海尔赛——“昌西”号驱逐舰上那个暴躁的舰长了。他是领章上有三颗银星的太平洋舰队空军司令威廉·弗·海尔赛海军中将。海尔赛的肚子松垂了下来,他那曾经是浓密的褐色头发灰白了,散乱着。随着年事增长,脸上也有了雀斑和皱纹。但是方方的下巴、咧着嘴淡淡一笑时机灵的样子、他伸出手来划曲线似的姿势和那紧紧的一握,都还是老样子。“你那位可爱的妻子好吗?”

feisty a. 易怒的,有勇气的,活跃的,精力充沛的
  skipper n. 船长,领导,队长
  straggle v. 蔓生,漫延,四散,迷路,落伍
  crease v. 折皱,弄皱,生有皱纹

"Thank you, Admiral. Rhoda's fine."
  “谢谢,将军。罗达很好。”

Halsey turned to Raymond Spruance, who stood beside him, hands on hips, studying a Pacific chart on the desk. Spruance was a little younger, but far less marked by time, possibly because of his austere habits. His color was fresh, his skin clear, his plentiful hair only touched with gray; he seemed not to have changed at all since Pug's tour under him at the War College. It was a Halsey byword that he wouldn't trust a man who didn't drink or smoke. Spruance did neither, but they were old fast friends. In Halsey's destroyer division, during Pug's first duty at sea, Spruance had been a junior skipper.
  海尔赛朝着雷蒙德·斯普鲁恩斯转过身去,后者站在他身边,双手放在屁股上,正在细细打量桌上的太平洋航海图。斯普鲁恩斯年纪稍微轻一些,然而岁月留下的痕迹却要少得多,可能是因为他生活习惯严格的缘故。他气色挺好,皮肤上没有斑点,头发很多,只有一点灰白。自从帕格跟随他去视察作战学院以来,他看上去一点都没变。海尔赛有句名言,他不信任不喝酒、不抽烟的人。斯普鲁恩斯两样都不碰,但他们是互相信得过的老朋友。帕格在海上服役初期,斯普鲁恩斯已经在海尔赛的驱逐舰队里担任级别较低的舰长了。

austere a. 简朴的,严格执行的,一丝不苛的
  byword n. 格言,谚语,笑柄

"You know, Ray, this rascal had the sassiest bride of any ensign in the old division." As Halsey chain-lit a cigarette, his hand slightly trembled. "Ever meet her?"
  “你也知道,雷,在当时舰队里所有的海军少尉中,就数这家伙的新娘最漂亮了。”海尔赛刚抽罢一支烟,接着又点起一支,他的手有点颤抖。“见过她吗?”

sassy a. 无礼的,失礼的,厚脸皮的,时髦的
  chain-light v. 一个接一个地点燃,一根接一根地点着

Spruance shook his head, the large eyes serious and remote.
  斯普鲁恩斯摇摇头,眼光严肃而冷漠。

"Captain Henry, you worked on the Wake Island battle problem at the College, didn't you?"
  “亨利上校,你在作战学院里搞过威克岛战役问题,是吗?”

"I did, sir."
  “是的,长官。”

"Come to think of it, Ray, why were you running a Wake problem in thirty-six?" said Halsey. "Wake was nothing but scrub and gooney birds then."
  “想想看,雷,你为什么要在一九三六年就研究威克岛问题呢?”海尔赛说。“威克岛那时只有灌木丛和黑脚信天翁。”

scrub n. 灌木,丛林地,矮树
  gooney n. 信天翁

Spruance looked to Victor Henry, who spoke up, "Admiral, the purpose was to test tactical doctrine in a problem involving Orange-dominated waters, very long distances, and enemy land-based air."
  斯普鲁恩斯留神地瞧着维克多·亨利,后者大声说:“将军,目的是试验一下战术原则,假设‘橙色’已控制海域,距离很远,敌方的空军有地面基地。”

"Sound familiar?" Spruance said to Halsey.
  “听上去熟悉吗?”斯普鲁恩斯对海尔赛说。

"Oh, hell, what does a game-board exercise away back then prove?"
  “哦,见鬼,很久以前的一次沙盘演习能说明什么呢?”

"Same distances. Same ship and air-craft performance characteristics."
  “一样的距离。一样的舰艇和飞机的战术技术性能。”

"Same doctrines, too -- like seek out enemy and destroy him."
  “原则也一样——像是发现敌人,歼灭敌人。”
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-9-17 08:17:08 |显示全部楼层
  Halsey's jaw jutted. Pug knew that look well. "Have you heard the joke that's going around in Australia? They're saying that pretty soon the two yellow races -- may really come to blows in the Pacific -- the Japanese and the Americans."
  海尔赛的下巴翘了起来。帕格很熟悉这副样子。“你听到过正在澳大利亚流传的笑话吗?他们说很快这两种黄种人——日本人和美国人——就会在太平洋上真的开战。”

come to blows v. 爆发冲突

"Not a bad quip." Spruance gestured with dividers at the chart.
    “这句双关语不错。”斯普鲁恩斯把两脚规向航海图一指说。

quip n. 讽刺,双关语,妙语
  divider n. 圆规,两脚规

"But it's over two thousand miles to Wake, Bill. Let's even say we sortie tomorrow, which isn't very feasible, but --"
  “可是到威克岛有二千多英里路程,比尔。我们应该说,明天就出击,这不太可能,但是——”

"Let me interrupt you right there. If we have to, we will!"
  “让我打断你的话。如果我们需要,我们就得干!”

"Even so, look at what happens."
  “即使如此,看看会发生什么吧。”

The two admirals bent over the chart. The operation to relieve Wake Island, Pug quickly gathered, was on. The aircraft carriers Lexington and Saratoga with their support ships were already steaming westward, one to knock out the land-based air in the Marshalls south of Wake, the other to deliver reinforcements to the Marines, and attack any Japanese sea forces it encountered. But Halsey's Enterprise was being ordered to a station less than halfway -- to Wake, where it could cover the Hawaiian Islands. He wanted to go all the way. He was arguing that the Jap fleet would not dare another sneak attack on Hawaii, with the Army Air Corps on combat alert; that carriers operating together vastly increased their punch; and that if the Japs did try an end run for Hawaii, he could double back and intercept them in time.
  两位将军伏在航海图上。帕格很快地猜测到,增援威克岛的工作已在进行之中。“列克星敦”号和“萨拉托加”号航空母舰以及支援他们的舰艇已经向西驶去,一艘要搞掉在威克岛南面的马绍尔群岛的空军基地,另一艘要去增援海军陆战队并攻击它所碰到的任何日本海军。但是海尔赛的“企业”号奉命开往离威克岛不到一半路的一个停泊地,在那里它能掩护夏威夷群岛。他要老远赶去。他争论说夏威夷已有陆军航空部队作战斗警戒,日本舰队决不敢再一次偷袭;还争论说航空母舰一起出动,大大地增强了它们的力量;并说假如日本人竟然向夏威夷迂回冲来,他可以及时赶回予以截击。

punch n. 冲压,打孔,打击力,冲压机,冲床
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-9-17 08:23:27 |显示全部楼层
  The 1936 game-board exercise, Pug realized, had been prophetic. In the game, the Marines had been beleaguered on Wake after a sneak Japanese attack on Manila. The Pacific Fleet had sailed to relieve them and bring the Jap main body to action. The mission had failed. "Orange" air had clobbered "Blue" into turning back. "Blue" carrier attacks had not knocked out the enemy's island airfields, the umpires had ruled, due to bad weather, pilot inexperience, and unexpected Jap strength in AA and aircraft.
  帕格意识到一九三六年的沙盘演习是有预见性的。在那次演习中,在日本人偷袭马尼拉之后,威克岛上的海军陆战队就受到了围攻。太平洋舰队于是驶去救援他们,迫使日本主力参战。但任务没完成。“橙方”空军把“蓝方”打得掉头逃跑。演习裁判员裁判说,由于天气不好,飞行员缺乏经验以及对日本人在防空和飞机方面的力量估计不足,“蓝方”航空母舰没有摧毁敌人在岛上的机场。

beleague v. 包围,围攻
  clobber v. 痛殴,击倒,使惨败
  umpire n. 裁判员,仲裁人

Spruance ticked off distances, times, and hazards until Halsey exploded, "Jesus Christ and General Jackson, Ray, I know all that. I want some arguments to throw at CincPac so I can shake myself loose!"
  斯普鲁恩斯标出一个个距离、时间和危险所在的记号,海尔赛忍不住叫起来;“耶稣基督啊,杰克逊将军哪,雷,这些我都知道。我要一些论据扔给太平洋舰队总司令,这样我自己就能甩开膀子干啦!”

Dropping the dividers on the chart, Spruance shrugged. "I suspect the whole operation may be cancelled."
  斯普鲁恩斯把两脚规放在航海图上,耸了耸肩。“我疑心整个作战会取消。”

"Cancelled, hell! Why? Those marines are holding out -- splendidly!"
  “取消?见鬼!为什么?那些海军陆战队正出色地坚持着呢!”

His sympathies all with Halsey, Pug Henry put in that while flying from Manila to Hawaii on the PanAm Clipper he had been under bombardment at Wake Island.
  帕格完全赞同海尔赛的话,他插进来说,当他自己乘泛美飞剪型客机由马尼拉飞到夏威夷时,就在威克岛受到了炮击。

"Hey? What's that? You were there?" Halsey turned angrily glinting eyes on him. "What did you see? How are their chances?"
  “哦,什么?你在那儿吗?”海尔赛转过来,生气地看着他。“你看到些什么?他们运气如何?”

glint v. 闪烁

Pug described the Marine defenses, and said he thought they could resist for weeks. He mentioned the letter he had brought from the Marine commandant to CincPac, and quoted the colonel's parting words in the coral dugout: "We'll probably end up eating fish and rice behind barbed wire anyway, but at least we can make the bastards work to take the place."
  帕格描述了海军陆战队的防御工事,说他认为他们可以坚持抵抗几个星期。他提到了他为海军陆战队司令官带给太平洋舰队总司令部的那封信,并且引用了那位上校在珊瑚地下掩蔽部里临别时说的话:“我们的结局大概是不得不到铁丝网后面吃鱼和米饭去,不过至少我们能叫那些兔崽子花点力气来夺得这块地方。”

commandant n. 司令官
  dugout n. 防空壕

"You hear that, Ray?" Halsey struck the desk with a bony gray-haired fist. "And you don't think we're honor bound to reinforce and support them? Why, the papers back home are full of nothing but the heroes on Wake. 'Send us more Japs!' I've never heard anything more inspiring."
  “听见没有,雷?”海尔赛用瘦骨嶙峋、长着灰色汗毛的拳头敲着桌子。“难道你不认为我们有光荣的责任去援助和支持他们吗?哼,发回的报道中除了威克岛上的英雄外,什么都不提!‘多打发些日本人来啊!’我从来没听到过有比这更鼓舞人心的。”
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-9-18 07:38:22 |显示全部楼层
  "I rather doubt that message ever came from Wake. Newspaper stuff," said Spruance. "Henry, were you stationed in Manila?"
  “我十分怀疑是否真有消息从威克岛来。都是新闻界的玩意儿。”斯普鲁恩斯说,“亨利,你在马尼拉驻扎过吗?”

"I was coming via Manila, Admiral, from the Soviet Union. I was naval adviser on the Lend-Lease mission."
  “我从苏联来,路过马尼拉,将军。我是《租借法案》使团的海军顾问。”

"What? Rooshia?" Halsey gave Victor Henry a jocular prod with two fingers. "Say, that's right! I've heard about you, Pug. Hobnobbing with the President and I don't know who all! Why, old Moose Benton told me you went for a joyride over Berlin in a Limey bomber. Hey? Did you really do that?"
  “什么?俄国?”海尔赛打趣地用两个手指戳了维克多·亨利一下。“啊,这就对了!我听人说起过你,帕格,和总统有交情,我却不知道所有这些都讲的是谁!哦,老穆斯·本顿告诉我说,你乘了英国佬的轰炸机在柏林上空兜过风。嘿,你真的去了吗?”

jocular a. 诙谐的
  hobnob v. 对酌,共饮,亲切交谈
  joyride n. 兜风,驾车游玩
  Limey n. 英国佬,英国海军

"Admiral, I was an observer. Mostly I observed how frightened I could get."
  “将军,我是个观察员。我多半观察到自己会害怕到何等地步。”

Halsey rubbed his chin, looking roguish. "You're aboard to relieve Sam Hickman, aren't you?"
  海尔赛搓了搓下巴,看上去一副调皮相。“你是登舰来接替山姆·希克曼的,是吗?”

"Yes, Admiral."
  “是的,将军。”

"Like to come with me and handle operations instead?"
  “愿不愿换个工作,跟我在一起,管作战处?”

Victor Henry sparred. "I've got my orders, Admiral."
  维克多·亨利争辩道:“我已接到命令了,将军。”

spar v. 争辩,出拳,踢打

"They can be modified."
  “命令可以更改的嘛。”

Pug knew this man well enough from the destroyer days. Lieutenant Commander Halsey had given him his first "outstanding" fitness report for duty at sea. Once Bill Halsey went charging into a fleet action -- he was bound to do that sooner or later, he had always been hot for fame and a fight -- his operations officer might decide the course of a big battle, for Halsey leaned heavily on subordinates. It was a temptation of a sort; much more so than the CincPac staff assignment Pug had dodged.
  从驱逐舰上相处的日子起,帕格就十分了解这个人。海尔赛少校给了他第一张海上服役“优秀”的合格成绩单。一旦比尔·海尔赛负责舰队战斗行动——他早晚总会这样做的,他总是热衷于追求荣誉,不惜一战——他很信赖部下,所以他的作战处军官能够决定重大战役的进程。这是一种诱惑;比起帕格已推辞掉的太平洋舰队总司令部参谋的委任来,这诱惑要大得多。

temptation n. 诱惑,诱惑物

But Victor Henry was tired of being a flunky to mighty men, tired of anonymous responsibility for major problems. The Northampton meant a return to the old straight career ladder: sea duty, shore interludes, more sea duty; and at last battle-line command, and the bright hope of flag rank. The Northampton was that all-important last rung of major sea command. He would be firing eight-inch guns in battle. He was a gunnery man to the bone.
  可是维克多·亨利对于作大人物的跟班感到厌倦了,对于重要问题担负无名责任也厌倦了。“诺思安普敦”号倒是意味着回到往日直截了当的事业阶梯上来:海上服役,岸上间歇,更多的海上服役;最后获得舰队的指挥权,大有希望达到海军将级军衔。“诺思安普敦”号就是那海上指挥大权的顶顶重要的最末一级。他将在战斗中施放八英寸口径大炮。他是个地地道道的炮手。

flunky n. 穿号衣的仆人,奴才,走狗
  interlude n. 两段时期中间的时间,间隔的时间,歌剧的两幕之间
  rung n. 地位,横档
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-9-18 07:50:06 |显示全部楼层
  Yet rejecting Vice Admiral Halsey to his face was an unhealthy undertaking. Pug was hesitating, wondering how to handle this, when Raymond Spruance, leaning over the chart with the dividers, remarked, "Bill, isn't that a three-striper slot?"
  可是,当面回绝海尔赛海军中将的做法不太好。帕格犹豫不决,不知怎么应付才好。雷蒙德·斯普鲁恩斯正拿着两脚规俯身在航海图上,这时说道:“比尔,那不是一个中校的职位吗?”

slot n. 位置,狭槽,缝隙

Halsey turned on him. "It damned well shouldn't be. Not the way operations are expanding! I can get that changed mighty fast."
  海尔赛转过身朝着他;“不应该是这样,这跟正在扩充的作战处不相称!我会很快改变这情况的。”

With Spruance's casual words, Pug Henry was off the hook. He did not even have to speak. Halsey gave Pug a calculating glance and picked up his cap. "Well, I'm going back to CincPac, Ray, and I mean to win this argument. Stand by to get under way tomorrow. Good seeing you, Pug. You've kept very well." Out swept the gnarled hand. "Still play tennis?"
  斯普鲁恩斯随口一句话,使帕格·亨利摆脱了困境。他甚至不必开口。海尔赛细细打量了帕格一下,拿起他的帽子。“好吧,我要到太平洋舰队总司令部去了。雷,我是打算要赢得那场争论的。准备明天出发。能看见你太好了,帕格。你保养得很好。”他刷地伸出多节的手。“还打网球吗?”

stand by v. 做好准备,支持,遵守,袖手旁观
  gnarl v. 生有结节、瘤,使有结节,咆哮

"Every chance I get, Admiral."
  “有机会就打,将军。”

"And read your Bible every morning, and Shakespeare at night?"
  “还是每天早上看圣经,晚上看莎士比亚吗?”

"Well, sort of. At least I still try."
  “是的,可以这么说,至少我还是尽力这么做。”

"You clean-living types depress me."
  “你那么规矩地过日子,可够让我扫兴的。”

"Well, I smoke and drink like anything now."
  “啊,我现在喝酒、抽烟都很厉害。”

"Honor bright?" Halsey grinned. "That's progress."
  “真是这样吗?”海尔赛咧着嘴笑了。“这倒是个进步。”

Spruance said, "I'm going ashore, Bill."
  斯普鲁恩斯说:“我要上岸去了,比尔。”

"Well, come along. How about you, Pug? Like a ride to the beach?"
  “好,走吧。你呢,帕格?想去海滨吗?”

"Yes, thank you, Admiral; if I may --"
  “啊,要是可以的话,那就谢谢了,将军。”
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-9-19 07:48:43 |显示全部楼层
  At the quarterdeck, he gave the O.O.D a message for Hickman, then descended the ladder to the sumptuous black barge, and sat apart from the admirals. The boat cruised like a ferry through the malodorous oil and flotsam that since the Jap attack was fouling the harbor. On the fleet landing stood a gray Navy Chevrolet with three-star Rags fluttering on the front fenders. A stiff marine in dress uniform opened the door. "Well, gentlemen," said Halsey, "can I give anybody a lift?"
  在后甲板上,他把给希克曼的信交给舰上值日军官,然后下了梯子,到豪华的黑色汽艇上去。他不和将军们坐在一起。汽艇像渡船一样穿过尽是恶臭的油和舰艇残骸的水面。自从日本人发动进攻以来,海港就被弄脏了。在舰队的登陆处停着一辆灰色的海军雪佛莱轿车,三星旗飘扬在前挡板上面。一个穿军装的直挺挺的海军陆战队员开了门。“哦,先生们,”海尔赛说,“有谁要搭我的车?”

sumptuous a. 奢侈的,华丽的
  malodorous a. 散发着恶臭气味的,难闻的
  flotsam n. 漂浮物,零碎,废料
  foul v. 弄脏,污秽,淤塞,污蔑
  rag n. 破旧的旗子
  fender n. 挡泥板,防卫物

Spruance shook his head.
  斯普鲁恩斯摇摇头。

"Thank you, Admiral," Victor Henry said. "I'm going up to my son's house."
  “谢谢,将军,”维克多·亨利说,“我要到我儿子的住处去。”

"Where does your son live?" Admiral Spruance asked as the Chevrolet drove off.
  “你儿子住哪儿?”在雪佛莱汽车开走时,斯普鲁恩斯问。

"Up in the hens over Pearl City, sir."
  “珍珠市上面的山里,长官。”

"Shall we walk it?"
  “我们走去,好吗?”

"It's five miles, Admiral."
  “有五里路呢,将军。”

"Are you pressed for time?"
  “你时间紧吗?”

"Well, no, sir."
  “啊,不,长官。”

Spruance strode off through the clangorous Navy Yard.
  斯普鲁恩斯大踏步穿过铿锵作响的海军造船厂。

clangorous a. 叮当响的,响亮的

After a week of heavy drinking to blot out night thoughts of Rhoda, Pug had trouble keeping up with him. They began climbing an asphalt road through green hills. Though Spruance's khaki shirt blackened with sweat his pace did not slow.
  帕格为了在晚上尽量忘掉罗达,这一个星期酒喝得很厉害,因此得费劲才跟上他。他们开始爬一条穿过青山的柏油路。尽管斯普鲁恩斯的卡其衬衫被汗弄黑了,他的步子并没放慢。

blot v. 弄脏,使有污点
  blot out v. 抹去,遮盖

He did not speak, but it was not for lack of wind. Pug was embarrassed by his own puffing compared to the even deep breaths of the older man. Rounding a turn of the uphill road, they looked out on a broad panorama of the base: docks, cranes, nests of destroyers and of submarines -- and the terrible smashed half-sunk battleships, burned-out aircraft, and blackened skeletal hangars.
  他不说话,但并不是因为喘不过气来。这个年纪更大的人反倒呼吸均匀,帕格自己却喘着粗气,相形之下,他感到有点不好意思。他们在上坡路上转了一个弯儿,俯视基地的宽阔全景:船码头、起重机、驱逐舰与潜艇的停泊地——以及支离破碎得可怕的、下沉了一半的战列舰、焚毁的飞机和变黑了的、只剩下屋架的飞机库。

skeletal a. 骨骼的,骸骨的,骨架的
  hangar n. 机库,飞机修理库
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

主题

听众

积分

中尉

注册时间
2014-3-14
精华
帖子
发表于 2018-9-19 07:57:45 |显示全部楼层
  Spruance spoke. "Good view."
  斯普鲁恩斯说:“景色真美。”

"Too good, Admiral."
  “太好了,将军。”

The admiral's face turned. The big sober eyes flashed agreement.
  将军的脸转了过来。冷静的大眼睛闪出赞同的神色。

"I planned to spend the day aboard the Northampton, sir," Pug panted, now that they were talking, "but when Admiral Halsey thinks of getting under way tomorrow, I figure I better fetch my gear."
  “我原来打算在‘诺思安普敦’号上过这一天的,长官,”既然他们在谈话了,帕格便喘着气讲:“可是海尔赛将军想要明天就出发,我想我最好还是去拿我的东西。”

"Well, I doubt the urgency exists." Spruance patted a folded white handkerchief on his wet brow.
  “嗯,我想不会那么着急吧。”斯普鲁恩斯用折叠好的一方白手帕擦了擦汗湿的额头。

Wake Island's remote exposed location and the Navy's present weakness, he said, all but precluded a fight. Admiral Kimmel, no doubt wanting to recover face after December 7th, had ordered the rescue just before the President had fired him. But the Fleet was awaiting a new CincPac, and its temporary commander, Vice Admiral Pye, was having second thoughts. Abandoning the relief mission would cause great controversy, and there were good arguments on both sides, but Spruance suspected that these marines, like the phantoms in the War College exercise, were fated to spend the war in prison camps.
  他说,威克岛那么遥远而又暴露在外,像这样的位置以及海军目前的虚弱,差不多排除了一场战斗的可能性。十二月七日以后,吉美尔将军毫无疑问要挽回面子。他赶在总统撤他职之前下令救援。然而,舰队在等待新的太平洋舰队总司令,临时指挥官派伊中将也另有打算。放弃这次援救任务可能会引起一场大争论,双方都有很好的道理,但斯普鲁恩斯怀疑,这些海军陆战队就像作战学院演习时那些事实上不存在的士兵一样,命中注定将在俘虏营度过战争年代。

preclude v. 排除,避免,阻碍
  phantom n. 鬼怪,幽灵,幻影,错觉

Talking in a calm War College vein, marching at a pace that made Victor Henry's heart gallop, Spruance said that December 7th had changed the Pacific balance of forces. The United States had been half-disarmed. The odds were now ten or eleven carriers to three, ten combat-ready battleships to none, and nobody knew where those heavy enemy forces were. The Japanese had shown prime combat and logistical ability. They had unveiled ships, planes, and fighting men as good as any on earth. The Philippines, Southeast Asia, and the East Indies might be theirs for the taking, stretched thin as the British were.
  斯普鲁恩斯的语气像在作战学院里一样平静,走路的步子快得使维克多·亨利的心脏剧烈跳动,他说十二月七日改变了太平洋上力量的对比。美国已被解除了一半武装。力量的对比在于十艘或十一艘航空母舰对三艘,十艘作好战斗准备的战列舰对一艘也没有,而且谁都不知道敌方的重兵布置在哪儿。日本人已经显示了出色的战斗和后勤能力。他们把世界上最最好的舰艇、飞机和战斗人员亮了出来。菲律宾群岛、东南亚和东印度群岛都可能被他们弄到手。英国人把兵力铺得大开,力量显得单薄。

Right now the Navy could do little but hit-and-run raids to gain battle skill and keep the Japanese off balance. But it had to hold a line from Hawaii to Australia at all costs, through the arc of islands outside Japanese aircraft range. New carriers and battleships would in time join the fleet. Jumping off from Hawaii and Australia, they would start battering back Japan from the east and the south. But that was a year or more away. Meantime Australia had to be held, for it was a white man's continent. Its overrunning by nonwhites might trigger a world revolution that could sweep away civilization. With this arresting remark Raymond Spruance fell silent.
  就在此刻,海军简直没有什么可干的,除非搞些“打了就跑”的袭击来提高战斗技能,同时使日本人心神不安。但是海军得通过日本飞机航程以外的那些组成弧圈形的岛屿,不惜任何代价保持一条从夏威夷到澳大利亚的战线。新的航空母舰和战列舰要及时加入舰队。从夏威夷和澳大利亚出发,他们将由东面和南面开始反击日本。然而这需要一年或更长的时间。同时得把澳大利亚守住,因为这是白种人的大陆。如果非白种人占领了,可能会触发一场摧毁文明的世界革命。雷蒙德·斯普鲁恩斯作了这一耸人听闻的评论后,便默不作声了。

batter v. 打坏,猛击

They trudged uphill through tall sweet-smelling green walls of sugarcane under an ever-hotter sun, amid peaceful bird song.
  他们穿过高高的、带着甜丝丝气味的绿色甘蔗林,顶着越来越火辣辣的烈日,在鸟儿的安闲歌声中艰难地爬上坡。

trudge v. 跋涉,吃力地行走
  sugarcane n. 甘蔗,糖蔗

"Pessimistic picture, Admiral," Victor Henry ventured.
  “前途悲观啊,将军。”维克多·亨利大胆地说。

pessimistic a. 悲观的,厌世的

"Not necessarily. I don't think Japan can cut the mustard. Weak industrial base, not enough supplies for a long struggle. She'll have a hot run for a while, but we'll win the war if the spirit at home holds up. We've got a strong President, so it ought to. But our country's in a two-front war, and the German front is the decisive one, so we're second in line out here. And we've started with a big defeat. Therefore the realities are against any early heroics in the Pacific, such as an all-out battle to relieve Wake."
  “倒不见得,我认为日本成不了大事。薄弱的工业基础,物资供应无法维持长期斗争。有一阵她会闹得很欢,然而如果我们国内的斗志旺盛的话,我们将赢得这场战争。我们有一位坚强的总统,这是必不可少的。不过,我国是在两条战线上作战,德国战线则是起决定作用的,因此,我们这里按次序是第二。我们一上来就已经吃了一场大败仗。因此,实际情况不利于在太平洋上过早地采取英雄行动,譬如全力以赴打一场增援威克岛的战斗。”

cut the mustard  v.  收割芥菜:行动起来以求符合期望或达到预定标准,干得漂亮
回复

使用道具 举报/推荐

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

回顶部